Judge Leah Setzen Resume
DuPage County Circuit Court Judge 2023-current
Partner, Senior Litigation Partner | Grunyk Family Law | 2006 – 2023
- Handled all aspects of contested family law cases from inception through trial and appeal, including complex financial disputes, child custody and relocation cases, guardianships, adoptions, parentage matters and same-sex relationships.
- Regularly argued family law matters in DuPage, Will, Kane, Kendall and Cook Counties, as well as the Second and Third District Appellate Courts.
- Mediated and arbitrated family law matters as court-appointed and private mediator and arbitrator.
- Managed associate attorneys and office personnel.
- Served DuPage Bar Association Family Law Committee members through monthly case law analysis and presentations.
- Educated judges, attorneys, paralegals and other professionals and moderates judicial panels through the DuPage County and Will County Bar Associations, Illinois Institute for Continuing Legal Education, National Business Institute and HalfMoon Education.
ASSOCIATE ATTORNEY | LAW OFFICES OF LAWRENCE K. RYNNING | 2004 – 2006
- Analyzed insurance contracts to determine coverage on behalf of insurers.
- Researched various issues concerning insurance coverage matters.
ASSISTANT STATE’S ATTORNEY | KANE COUNTY STATE’S ATTORNEY’S OFFICE | 2002 – 2004
- Prosecuted misdemeanor and felony cases of domestic violence, DUI and traffic offenses.
- Worked with local law enforcement to review potential felony cases.
- Conducted more than 100 bench and jury trials.
- Selected to attend prestigious National College of District Attorneys training in South Carolina.
- In re Marriage of Taylor, 2021 IL App (2d) 190315-U
- In re Marriage of Burkhart, 2019 IL App (2d) 180475-U
- In re Marriage of Glassman and McCue, 2016 IL App (2d) 141258-U
- In re Marriage of Schlei, 2015 IL App (3d) 140592 (conducted oral arguments)
- In re Marriage of Kunowski, 2012 IL App (2d) 110660-U
- “Foreseeability and Support: An Evolution (and the Wheels Keep Turning),” DuPage County Bar Association Brief, July/August 2022
- “Modern Maintenance: Conflicting Views on the Applicability of Amended Maintenance Guidelines Create Uncertainty,” DuPage County Bar Association Brief, October 2020
- “A Requirement of Life Insurance to Secure a Maintenance Award Allowable Under New Law,” DuPage County Bar Association Brief, April 2012
- “Terminating the Same-Sex Relationship: A Practical Approach,” DuPage County Bar Association Brief, December 2009
- “Case Updates,” DuPage County Bar Association Family Law Committee, 2006 to present
- Co-editor, @Risk 2.0, 2002
- Family Law Case Updates Year in Review, DuPage County Bar Association, 2012 through 2021
- Child Support and Maintenance 2021, Illinois Institute for Continuing Legal Education, May 2021
- Illinois Family Law Practice for Paralegals, HalfMoon Education, May 2021
- Judicial Forum, Moderator, National Business Institute, April 2017
- Financial Divorce Settlements from Start to Finish, March 2015
- Nontraditional Family Law in Illinois, March 2015
- Divorce Litigation from Start to Finish, National Business Institute, March 2013
- Family Law Session, DuPage County Bar Association Mega Meeting, January 2013, 2015
- Preventing Critical Financial Mistakes During Divorces, National Business Institute, September 2012
- Financial Divorce Settlements from Start to Finish, National Business Institute, March 2012
- Civil Union Super Seminar, DuPage County Bar Association, May 2011
Juris Doctor, Cum laude | 2000 | University of Illinois College of Law
- Dean’s List
- CALI Award—Highest grade in Introduction to Advocacy
- High Honors, legal research and writing
bachelor of arts, magna cum laude | 1997 | University of Illinois at Urbana-Champaign
- Speech communication
- Phi Beta Kappa
- DuPage County Bar Association
- Will County Bar Association
- American Inns of Court, Robert E. Jones Chapter, Treasurer
- Naperville Area Chamber of Commerce, Board of Directors
- NCTV17, Board of Directors
- DuPage County Bar Association Brief, Editorial Board